Saturday, January 30, 2016

Y Así Comienza Mi Viaje...

Por Claire Enos

My journey began a few months ago when a friend of mine convinced me to go to iTalk here on campus at BYU-Idaho. It's similar to TED Talks but run by students on campus. One girl talked about her trip to Africa to volunteer, which got me thinking about the trips I wanted to go on. That same semester I ended up with more money than I was used to, and I decided to use it for something worthwhile, so I looked up programs for teaching English in foreign countries. I've always wanted to travel the world and volunteer and help people!

In November, I found the International Language Program or ILP. They send college students or kids in their twenties to foreign countries to teach children how to speak English. I have previously worked with adults learning English through the Pathway program at BYU-Idaho and I thought it would be fun to work with children and spend several months in Mexico. That is how this all came to be.

I submitted my application and got references from my Bishop up here at school and one of my Spanish teachers here on campus. I heard back the next week saying I was accepted, and I finished the rest of the process of filling out paperwork and submitting it within the past month.

A couple weeks ago I received confirmation that I was indeed going to Celaya, Mexico and I am super excited! I go to training next weekend in Utah, and I will be leaving for Mexico at the end of this semester. This will certainly be a great opportunity, and I hope to share what I learn and see and do on this blog throughout my travels.

This blog is mainly to keep my friends and family informed of my travels, and to share my thoughts, feelings, and other fun stuff as I travel through Mexico and teach English! I will also share the process of how I got into the program and everything in the months leading up to my departure date.

Y así comienza mi viaje al Mexico...

<3Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment